Tuesday 18 November 2008

Buchlyvie Half Marathon Race Report.

So Mr ATHelite completed his first Road Race (as opposed to a Tri or Duathlon) in what must be the last 6 months. About blinking time too i hear you cry!
It was quite a good choice of race to do actually as there was no one else from the club running (so less pressure) as they were all down at the Brampton to Carlisle 10 miler.
I was a little apprehensive going into this as I haven't actually run more than 10 miles since the London Marathon in April. Speed wise I am going well but my endurance is questionable.
Anyhow - a beautiful morning in Buchlyvie - crisp, clear & no wind. The race starts on the road in the village for a few minutes before heading onto the disused railway track which heads off in a straight line into the distance. Could be a bit disconcerting running as far as you can see but only really looked down as the trails underfoot were loose stones & potholes.
A few guys there in trail shoes but i chose my racers thankfully - it was mostly hard underfoot & that's a long way in a hard pair of Inov8's.
I placed myself just behind the lead group who very gently pulled away which was fine - I stuck to my race plan - run at 6.15's & hope to hold onto that pace for a 1hr22 finish.
I could see the lead group all the way to the turning point which I went through in 7th position (i think). Having turned it seemed to me that we had run very slightly downhill & were now heading slightly up but un-noticable really & my mile splits stayed at 6.15 almost to the second. Went through 10 miles in 1hr01 so very pleased with that given that is was off-road.
I was overtaken by two guys running together at 10 miles - with a bit more confidence I probably could have gone with them but stuck to race plan still.
Back onto the road & a climb to the finishing field which annoyingly involved 2 laps of a very wet & muddy field which really slowed you down at the end.
Non-the-less, finished in 1hr22.21 in 9th placed overall so well chuffed.

A highly recommended Half Marathon with a difference - beautiful trails, only one deep muddy section in the middle & the field at the end to contend with, but well worth the journey.
A couple of guys saying they wouldn't do it again because of the finish but that's only a short annoyance in what was a most enjoyable race.

Final note - make the cup of Tea at the end FREE please, dying for a cuppa but couldn't face the walk to the car to get £££££!.

No comments: