Tuesday 18 November 2008

Foam Rollers


A few weeks ago I, Mr ATHelite posted that I had quite bad tendinitis in both my hips, brought on by the biking.
This feels like it has mostly eased thankfully, due in part to a bit of initial Physio & laying off the bike for what must now be 5 weeks. Both the Physio & John Dargie (www.fusion-coaching.co.uk) recommended I get Foam Rollers - a big hard foam roller that you can roll on & seems to be great alternative to Physio (Graeme @ http://www.acephysiotherapy.co.uk/). Initially it absolutely kills - especially on the calves, quads & gluts but becomes more bearable over time. After only 1 week my hips feel better & I ran the entire Buchlyvie Half Marathon on Sunday without any pain (that all came afterwards!).
The only area it doesn't get so well (for me) is the hamstrings as it can't get deep enough.

Highly recommended, but if you have tight legs like me, just have a piece of wood to bite on when you start!

A gentle week this week then we have the Strathaven 'Run with the wind' 10k on Sunday.

No comments: