Friday 15 February 2013

Swollen Paw.

I mentioned about a month ago that I had dramatically tumbled off my bike rollers in a moment of distraction, resulting in a lot of rather painful soft tissue & ligament damage to my wrist. Whilst this inconveniently meant that I had to wear a wrist brace & couldn't wash up, I could fortunately still ride my bike and run without too much discomfort. Over the last 2 weeks though my wrist and hand started to swell up rather alarmingly looking like Eddie Murpheys hand in the Nutty Professor. So I finally succumbed to visiting the Doctor on Tuesday.

This was my first visit to a Doctor in Canada and it was actually quite a pleasant experience. In Scotland we had to make sure we were poised by the phone at 8.29am to start ringing the Doctor relentlessly for 10 minutes to try & get an appointment, as did the rest of the population at the exact same minute. If you were 'lucky' you eventually through to a very aggressive female who begrudgingly gave you an appointment the same day. You then headed to the clinic to sit in an unventilated box for hours and were eventually taken at no where near the time you were told to come in for. When you finally left it was normally with the instruction to take Ibuprofen.

On Tuesday here I merely strolled into a Walk-in Clinic and was out 5 minutes later with the instruction to go for an Xray. I then headed to the Walk-in Xray Clinic and left, once again, 5 minutes later!!

I found out 2 hours later from the Doctor that I do not have any breaks or fractures and just need to take ... Ibuprofen for the next few days. Same result but a lot less stressful and it didn't take an entire day to find out!!

Canada 1. Scotland 0.


1 comment:

Derek B Stewart said...

Take it easy. You need to get back to those dishes!