Saturday 10 November 2012

Featured Athelite - Pamela Allan

Athelite Coached Pamela had a great 2012 and just completed it with a storming performance at Ironman Florida this month. We sat down with her to have a chat about the race and her season.

CF; In 2011 you finished IM Florida in 11 hrs 18 mins and this year you took a huge chunk off that with a 46 minute PR finishing in 10.32 and 5th in your age group. Congratulations - that is some result. What do you think are the main contributing factors to this amazing improvement?

PA; I love this race and this is the 3rd time I have raced in Florida. This year everything just fell into place at the right time. Without a doubt the main reason is the structured training plan put in place by my Coach Genevieve. I have tried various plans over the years but the plan that Genevieve came up with for me just worked so well. A great mix of endurance, technique, high intensity and recovery. I felt like I had never trained so little but all the way through I felt strong, well rested and ready to make every session count.
I have been coached by Genevieve since the start of 2011 and, with the exception of one event, I have been on the podium of every single race since then.
I also had a great bike fit from Colin at quite a late stage which had a big effect.

CF; Yes - Genevieve & I arrived in Canada at the start of October which coincided with you getting a new Tri bike. You got your hands on a Specialized Shiv - an awesome bike, how do you like it?

PA; I always loved my Cervelo P2 but looking back it was not the right size or set up for me. I always had a sore neck and back riding it. I LOVE the Shiv - it is a beautiful bike. I found the internal Fuelselage hydration system a bit annoying and had to stop using it but otherwise I love it. I still needed the bike dialling in and I have had bike fits before but the Retul fit was amazing. I was sitting way too high on the bike and too far back so both those adjustments were made plus some alterations to my cleats. I also had the Adamo saddle but was sitting on the wrong place on it so we changed that too. Colin also lowered the front end and I felt much more compact & aero on the bike. It made such a difference - everyone should get this done.

CF; I remember Genevieve saying that your run pace off the bike improved almost immediately after the fit?

PA; It did. After my long rides I just felt like my running muscles were much less fatigued. My cadence was definitely higher and I felt like the transition to running was effortless. I wish I had had this done years ago!!

CF; Any plans for next year yet?

PA; I am very excited about the 5150 World Champs in London next August which I qualified for at Muskoka 5150 in July this year.
We are still working on my race Calendar for next year but I will be looking at a combination of short course racing and I am sure there will be an Ironman in there too.




No comments: