Tuesday 4 August 2009

Durty Triathlon Race Report

Our Wee Dawn took on this Off Road Triathlon down at St Marys Loch on Sunday - here is her account of the day......

Durty Tri – 750m swim, 15k mtb, 5k run.

The morning of the race day arrived and I felt fine. No major nerves, no butterflies in the stomach, I’d used them all up I think during the week just thinking about Saturday. Amazingly as I sat on the sofa eating porridge watching Coronation Street on demand at 630am on Saturday morning I felt pretty dam good.

As I drove down I was thinking did I oversleep and miss summer? The event had been moved earlier to have better chance of the sun shining. HA! Nae chance. The rain lashed off the windscreen. I began to question my sanity and the thought of the mtb course played on my mind. I’d been warned it was technical and with the rain it was bound to be very slippery. I hoped for no tree roots…..

I placed all my gear at transition. Most will have seen my fear of the open water. It would be a fair coment from most to say that I’d probably be requiring canoe assistance half way round, however the swim was fantastic! I stayed away from the so called “washing machine” and swam alongside it instead. By a few hundred metres some had resorted to doing breastoke as I manged to crusie by I felt amazing! Cool, calm and collected. All those open water sessions (weeds included had paid off) I was prob in the first 20 out of the water from 115. I’ve no idea what my actual time was since after the swim was transition. I then struggled out of my wetsuit which was refusing to let go of my right ankle, which would have looked hilarious for the spectators then Q the clothes – buff for ears under the helmet, gloves, t-shirt, jacket, waterproof socks (??) bike shoes oh and a mountain biker never be without – camalbak rucksac with every tool that might be required for every eventuality. I can’t help it. J You could have boiled the kettle in the time it took me to get changed. Am sure I lost half a dozen places on the swim time due to my wardrobe change. Ho Hum.

Mtb course. A climb from the start. A long climb. The first few miles were easily rideable although slowly over Landover track. Then the harder steeper sections with major mud. I love mud. I love riding through the dirt. So this was great fun. A number of people were already off their bikes and pushing but I kept on – riding behind someone that was off their bike and pushing and going the same pace is a little disheartening! Soon I was off too and the little army of ants could be seen pushing and slogging all the way up the hill. About 10-15mins had gone by and I was still slogging my guts out pushing. Just before I got too frustrated the welcome descent. Marvelous. Lots of mud, lots of comedy falls – amazingly I stayed upright. This was a proper cross country mtb route, did I mention mud? Superb fun, into the final water crossing and back into transition again. Quick change into trail shoes and off again for the run.

The run was an out and back along the loch side. By this time I was slowing up but still smilingJ. Passing people on their way back home who were all saying well done with big smiles, I even did a high five with my mate Steve as he passed in the opposite direction… it was a friendly event. I just had to remember to keep placing one foot in front of the other and trying not to slow down. I finished in 1hr 43mins. 5th Senior Female from 26. However for next years event I am going to train harder by possibly carrying my bike to work.

I want to say thanks to ATHelite, and all those that babysat me in the Black Loch (and still do with the reeds!!!) I would NEVER have done an open water tri event if it were not for you guys and I would not have enjoyed my swim so immensely. Thanks! J

3 comments:

garethe said...

Hi
well done !
so are you going to do the ben nevis one then ?
you need to do a "clean" tri as well - the chances are it may rain so you have the possibility of a muddy run but you will have to do without the camelback !

athelite said...

well done, great report but what is with the camelpak!!!
how long were you planning on being out there for!!

Dawn said...

would love to do the HALF Ben Nevis. Alan has signed up for it. Crazy man! But am in Corsica walking the GR20 for three weeks.

Yeah the thing about off road tri's is the mud. Not quite the same in a "clean" tri! Ever heard the saying happy as a pig in s*it? :-)