Tuesday 18 August 2009

Better out than in?

So that was a fairly disastrous week for Operation Ironman. We had entered Aberfeldy Half Ironman on the Saturday - our last big event before Barcelona in 7 weeks. It had already gone wrong earlier when we found out one of us couldn't do it and had to work instead, so we decided Genevieve would do it. The plan was to pretty much train through as normal - we had a good start to the week with a 2.20 run on the Sunday, a 5.20 bike & 1/2 hour run on Monday & a hard gym & swim session on Tuesday. It all started to go pear shaped on Tuesday at 4.00am when I woke up to the sounds of Genevieve being sick in the bathroom. This was the start of a very nasty virus that completely wiped her out & kept her flat on the mattress all Wednesday & Thursday. This meant that it was now me who was to do Aberfeldy whilst Genevieve covered the shops (when she should really have still been in bed).
I travelled up to Aberfeldy on Friday afternoon, checked into my B&B/Retirement home, registered for the event & got my head round the double transition areas (alot of thinking required for that one) & attacked the pasta party. All good.
I headed back to the B&B/Crematorium for an early night feeling fairly relaxed & organised for the early start.
I first started to worry when I woke up at 3.00am ready to heave & sweating profusely. I thought at first that this might be nerves but it carried on for the rest of the night. I fell asleep eventually & woke up 3 mins later when the alarm went off feeling horrendous. Tried to press on & eat my 'continental breakfast' (cornflakes) under the watchful eye of an old man who claimed to own the bungalow who must have wondered how anyone could sweat so much whilst eating cereal.

I drove to Aberfeldy pretty much knowing that it wasn't going to happen for me - spoke to a couple of guys & phoned Genevieve & the general consensus was - go home. So I did. Rubbish decision & the longest most uncomfortable car journey I have ever done, rolling round in the drivers seat moaning & sweating some more. Including entries, hotels, petrol etc it probably cost us about £240 to enter an event that neither of us did!

So whilst Genevieve battled on in the shops over the weekend I was laid out at home for 3 days thinking my whole world was caving in. I'll spare the details but we both lost almost a stone in weight in 3 days. Unpleasant.
So back at work today feeling a bit odd & weak & thinking now that even Peebles Duathlon is a non-starter on Sunday - we are going to need a big weight increase & a huge energy burst to think about doing that one.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thats bad news guys. Hope you get better soon! Remember, if you are ever badly stuffed like this for someone in the shop, give me a shout.

Derek Stewart said...

Guys sorry to hear your news but better now than nearer the "big one"!.

You may have thought I had disappeared after the Strathclyde tri - I did to Florida for 3 weeks. It was my 1st standard tri and I was hoping for 3hr 15 min but managed a 2hr 47 helped by an unbelievable swim (29 min) - I was budgeting on 50! A good run but on looking at the bike times I have a lot of work to do.

As Colin & Gen will tell you I fought with the wetsuit for over 4 mins but came up with a solution - in my excitement I left it there!! The organisers have said a few went missing so if you see any neds in Hamilton wearing a blue seventy sprint wetsuit, as for it back.

I'll be back at training in a couple of weeks. You guys have inspired me to go for an Ironman in 2010. Yor help and counselling will be appreciated.

Finally there is a 50 mile cycle around Strathaven on Sunday morning - leaves George Allan Place at the park at 10am. For more details let me know.