Tuesday 7 April 2009

Humber Sprint Triathlon

James from our Tri Club travelled down south to participate in the Humber Sprint Tri below is his story

Humber Sprint!Indian curry and 3 pints of bitter didn't work! So stood in my lane yawning before the start of the swim leg!Some lane etiquette, but too many waves! Going to take a snorkel next time!Ambled through the swim and started to wake up!Had to run 200m to bike transition. Then the fun started. Couldn't get jacket over my head. Arms were stuck pointing skywards! Best not to ride the bike in this position as all I could see was inside of my jacket! Struggled free. Unzipped the jacket and started again! Eventually mounted the bike to the shouts of the referee "I can't see your number". Stopped, rearranged my jacket again! Finally, got going before sun down!Now for executing the 'plan'Don't get out the saddle and attack every hill like a pack of rottweilers are running after you! It worked! Took five 'helmets' on the way round each one on a hill! Passed by no-one.Buoyed by the bike I was ready to dash around the 3 run-circuits. Alas my legs were not ready!Curiously, I found myself talking to my legs. After two laps of encouragement they started to work! So with less than 1500m left I started to run!Over all a satisfying effortTarget 1hr 20minsTime 1hr 15mins and 52secsAreas for improvementNight before calorie intake - chinese and lager next timeSwim - practice longer breathing intervals so I can swim through the carnage - head down!Bike - Work on greater all round strength for a sub 40min 20km.Run - Consult with leg motivation therapist for better instantaneous resultsTransitions - Swim with jacket, helmet, shoes and gloves on!!!!

No comments: