Friday 7 November 2008

Florida Ironman

November 1, 2008 - SHOW TIME
The day of reckoning has finally arrived. The last five months have been geared up to this day.(Albeit, have in the back of my head been gearing up for the last 2 years for this moment).
I wake up at 4am and eat my breakfast immediately. I manage to eat and still feel calm. You've gotta eat, a long day ahead.
Nut, the thing is, I don't look upon this day as arduous, I look upon it as a gift. How lucky am I that I get to go out and play all day long, doing what I love doing. I'm feeling the anticipation for a great atmosphere. Ironman bringing people of like minds and enthusiasm for the sport together from all over the world. I can't wait to be a part of it.
We leave the condo at 5am and get to the race expo, 5 mins drive away. It's still dark out and the area is bustling already with triathletes. It is quiet though. Everyone is gearing up for what's ahead, focusing on what has to be done, and saving their energy for when it is needed.
2hrs to go before kick off. There is some organizing and preparation into an Ironman event! I get my wetsuit on, with the help of my sister. We then head down to the beach for the start. It's now just beginning to get light, with the sun coming up. He he, this is fantastic. I've watched lots of Ironman events on DVD and have heard so many stories about them, and now I am actually here, participating in one.
Paolina asks me where I am going to start the swim, wherever I feel comfortable I respond. She tells me I should take it wide, so I do this. You are allowed to be ankle deep in the water. Alot of people stand further back. The gun shot goes off and it's party time. Over 2000 of us running out to sea! It takes a while before you can actually start swimming, because the water is still shallow. I don't feel too panicked, I'm not exactly alone. I feel safe because there are lots of boaters in the water. As usual any nerves I had calm down as soon as the gun goes off and we start racing. I'm now in race mode, so I don't worry about how far out we swim. It's pretty much like being in the washing machine. Once we all get out to the furthest away buoy we pretty much have to stop till those ahead turn around and get going again. In hindsight I wouldn't have taken it so wide, at the start, next time I'm just going for it.
Swimming back in you see the sun shining over the water, this is so cool. What a great adventure.
2 loops later I head into transition as quickly as possible, get my bike gear together, a volunteer hands me my bike. Forgot my gloves, no time to go back. You mount your bike at the bike start line, and cycle along the heavily spectator zone, everyone's cheers, pushing you along, and reminding you, this isn't actually a really long training day. this is IT! I'm doing it.
Talking of supporters, as I cycle by our condo I see boyfriend dressed up in costume as Superman and sister dressed up as Superwoman. Super-supporters, I love it, that gives me a good chuckle.
The bike course is so busy, being Florida and flat. I feel good on the bike, which would appear these days to be my strength. I know if it was a bike race I would be going a lot faster at threshold , however, this is not a bike race, this is Ironman, so you have to keep some in the tank, for the dreaded run! I love running, but I am not a long distance runner.
I come off the bike, and oh, I can hardly walk, how am I going to run. A volunteer takes my bike and I look for my bike to run bag and head to the change tent. the volunteers are fantastic and pretty much do everything for you. I change my socks, into compression socks. I know some people don't approve 1. looks ridiculous and 2. they only help with recovery, well guess what, I am recovering from that bike ride. So what ever rocks your boat, go for it.
Quick port-a-loo stop and then I'm off. Wow, my legs are actually ticking over, I'm moving, I feel good, I can't believe it. Heading out on the run course, the streets are busy, with supporters, music playing, love it, I'm pumped, I hope I hear more music, that really motivates me.
The run course is good. Okay I tell myself I'm doing 4 x 10K. I can do that I love a 10K run. After each 6 mile mark I reset my watch. Play games with yourself to help you. I don't think I could cope if I looked at my watch and saw I had been running for 4hrs. I feel comfortable until mile 22, I then try to pick up my cadence, after which I burn out. Should have just kept the same pace. I am now resorted to the Ironman shuffle, for the last 3 , long miles! I was only trained upto 20 miles, the rest being on guts.
I see the finish line and hear the crowds. I get my last bout of wind, when another female attempts to overtake me. I run as fast as I can to the finish. I even get to run through the ironman banner, they hold up for each finisher. I receive my finishers medal. It's very overwhelming. My body is still shaking. Once I stop I can't get moving again. I lay down. I would recommend, that you do not stop moving and keep walking around at the end and get warm. Things I'll remember for the next one.
The day was an absolute blast and I definitely will be doing another!
Thanks to my fabulous boyfriend for coaching me and always being there for me.
To Paolina for inspiring me to do one, I had not heard of Ironman until she started doing them.
To ATHelite for sponsoring me with compression socks and running shoes.
To my mum for putting up with me in Vancouver when I was training on our vacation.

No comments: