Saturday 26 January 2013

Personal Stress Test

Here is a little test for you. The following statements determine your happiness level, how you handle stress and if you have negative thinking. See which statements apply to you and total up the bracketed points. See below for what this might mean.

I am worried about paying my bills this month (2)
I look at myself in the mirror & think negative thoughts (3)
I am not content with my body (3)
I am lonely (3)
I dislike my job (3)
I like my job but have too much work to do (2)
I like my job but my boss is too demanding (2)
I am always trying to please everyone (3)
I am exhausted but keep going (3)
Sometimes my stomach feels like it has butterflies(1)
I shop to make myself feel better (1)
I have feelings of guilt or anger (2)
I have feelings of inadequacy (3)
I am afraid of failure (2)
I have feelings of anxiety or low moods (2)
I feel trapped & can't cope sometimes (3)
I crave sugar (1)
I am a single mother (2)
I am a university student (1)
I am in an unhappy marriage (3)
I live with an alcoholic or drug user (2)
I work shift work (1)
I work too much & don't have enough play time (2)
I get angry with myself (2)
I hold resentment towards my partner (3)
I do not eat regularly (more than 4 or 5 hours between meals) (3)
I am sick more than 3 times a year (3)
I lack sexual drive (2)
I smoke (3)
I drink alcohol more than twice a week (3)
I drink too much caffeine (2)
My friends & family are not supportive of me (2)
I am tired all the time (3)
I have friends who take but never give (3)

If you scored 15 or less then you are handling the stress in your life but need to continue to work on managing the balance in your life.

If you scored 16 - 30 you know you have to make some changes, and fast. You are at risk of adrenal fatigue or exhaustion. 

If you scored over 30 you are over the top & need to adopt strategies to reduce your risk of stress related problems immediately.

I have completed this test for how I felt a year ago and how I feel now. We have made A LOT of big changes over this period and will continue to do so. Last year I was off  the scale, now I score 15. That is a significant life changing difference. 

Think about what you can do to change things. Ditch the negative thinking, restrict your alcohol/caffeine intake, plan time for fun, filter out the people who drain you and focus on the ones that you care about. If you hate your job/boss then look for a new one, watch less TV & go to bed earlier.
Make one change a week however small. You only get one go at this life so there is nothing to lose here!!
   
  *Original Stress Test by Lorna R. Vanderhaeghe, MS & Alvin Pettle, MD