Wednesday 5 October 2011

Lanzarote Training Camp - Nicola's Report

La Santa, Lanzarote.
September 2011 
Wasn’t quite sure what I was letting myself in for given my first novice triathlon was only in May this year, but desperate for sun and keen to progress my tri ‘career’ I googled triathlon + training camp… and BLING!, first result La Santa!

The camp was Joe Beers TriSmarter, with Dan Bullock on swim coaching. A week of training pitched at beginner’ish level, with 14-16 hours training, 7-8 hours of talks and an almost sprint triathlon on final day.  Only 13 of us on the camp so plenty of 1 on 1 coaching… although obvious down side of no place to hide despite my best efforts;)

It was a structured programme, with pre-published times, sessions etc every day which worked fantastically well. It was a full on week though, limited time in between sessions to eat and rest, but it kept us all motivated!

Hugely impressed with La Santa on arrival – amazing facility with every possible opportunity to improve your sporting ability no matter your level. Incredibly friendly staff too, easily bribed with biscuits and cake to help you out!

First few days training weren’t too bad, 2, sometimes all 3 disciplines in the day.  It was good to hear some of the theory of running and cycling - everyone who runs and cycles thinks swimming is technically hard, but as a swimmer I find cycling and running hard! 

Then we hit the 80k bike ride – pretty sure we were kept busy up to that point so we didn’t look at the bike route booklet we’d been given to see that the ride was in the “advanced” category and part of the IM route lol.  Longest hardest ride I’d ever done, legs hit the wall with about 15k to go half way up a 6/7k climb.  Muchos thanks to Joe for giving me a 5 sec push when we hit the headwind, a physical and mental support that was desperately required!  After that all sessions seemed a bit harder, legs were more tired for sure.

The almost sprint triathlon came at the time we were at our tiredest but despite given option to relay it,no-one took the offer up! My swim time was good, was pleased with my bike given it was uphill one way and headwind all the way back, same as usual however greatly disappointed with my run! Had tired legs and cramping, but it was still a minute off my last 5k so I must’ve been going faster when I wasn’t walking lol.  Was 2nd chick out of 7 so can’t complain. 1h13m for 400/15/4.9.



We totally deserved the night out at the end! See lesson learned no. 5 however.

Main lessons learned:

1)     This is a great place and type of holto do on your own – met a great bunch of people and we’re already planning to do a tri together next year. Will defdo another camp in the future.Refer to 2 however…
2)     Take multiple flavours of electrolytes (avoids gagging on millionth gallon of orange on only day 3). See 3…
3)     My nutrition sucks – am running out of fuel quicker than everyone else. If ate proper wouldn’t need to drink as much electrolytes as well! Top of my to do list to sort over the winter.
4)     Coming from a swimming background with swimming build I probably will find it hard to learn to run. Hasn’t lessened my motivation, but has removed some of the frustration I feel with running. Will just keep at it!!
5)     Jagerbombs are not clever. Neither is almost missing your flight due to throwing up in airport toilets. Remind self am athelite now;)

Yet another great tri experience to add to all my ATHelite ones!

No comments: