Thursday 22 September 2011

Trossachs Training Camp- Weekend Report


Ten ATHeliteers linked up with Calderglen Harriers for our annual Trossachs Run Training Camp held up in Callandar last weekend. This was Dereks first attendance at the camp & he has kindly scribed us a short report of his experience............



It was with some trepidation that I put my name down for this weekend as I’d never been on an organised run training event before – in fact I’d never run 3 days in a row before!  As for staying in a hostel, well that was also going to be a new experience but Lanza earlier in the year had prepared me for the farting and the snoring.

My first surprise was the hostel.  This wasn’t what I was expecting, well kitted out and not 20 to a room.  I shared with 3 guys and we all got on well and coped with the relatively confined space.  Only on the last night did one have to be woken from his snore fest and reminded we weren’t as deaf or as obliging as his wife was.

On the Friday we went out in packs with a leader dictating the pace and ran almost 6 miles with most of it off road.  The scenery would have been nice but through the rain we couldn’t see too much, although this was a great warm up.  Off to the pub for a small refreshment, some good food and plenty of time to meet new friends as I didn’t know the Calderglen Harriers crowd.

In the morning we went off in our pack for a 9.5 mile cross country run with some testing hills and more rain.  Back for a lecture from Physio David Nugent which was all about injury prevention and after lunch we had the second half from him including the physical analysis of our pack leader Eddie.  Turns out that to preserve the long-term future of runners they should swim and cycle – wait a minute - that means they should become triathletes!  I knew we had it right.

Then off for 6.5 miles, in the rain, which included an efforts session in the middle.  It was as tough as you wanted to make it and I paced myself as I wanted to avoid injury and also save myself for the 16 mile run the following day.  My legs were protesting a bit in the pub later (this is where we had dinner) but I made sure I was stretching and drinking plenty of water.

I was dreading the 16 miler on Sunday as I hadn’t been doing much running before this weekend.  However the pack went off at a sensible pack and took breaks for drinks and gels while admiring the scenery which was stunning.  Unfortunately we took a wrong turn and the run was extended to 18 miles!  Funnily enough the last mile was my quickest all weekend.

This concentrated effort has brought my running on and mentally I was able to tough it out and get through the pain barrier.  A great crowd of all running abilities made the weekend fun and a big thanks to everyone who arranged the event which I will definitely be going back to next year.  I also intend spending a fair amount of time during the winter running on those forest tracks – miles better than on the road.  Great kick start to my training for the South Side 6 in October.

No comments: