Wednesday 3 August 2011

London Triathlon Race Report

Here is Lornas race report from her London Triathlon experience at the weekend. Well done Lorna!!


The Transition, Expo, start and finish for this race were all inside the Excel London - a massive exhibition centre of which one entire side was the London Triathlon - billed as the largest triathlon in the World.

The massed ranks of bike racks was something to see. I was told there were 8000 folks entered - presumably they didn't all turn up but they were starting waves all day Saturday and Sunday from very early till evening. Each one with the warm up comedian at the swim start and commentators at the waters edge. The swim start was pretty calm - big floating dumbells provided by Virgin health clubs - very appropriate. I was in the mixed wave (thanks to entering late) and found myself having to swim through lots of very boisterous men who seemed intent on thumping me in the head. I am not used to that kind of thing at all and had a couple of big swallows of Thames water - mmm slightly salty mixed with mud and a little bit of something I really don't want to know about.

I enjoyed most of the swim - didn't feel it was hard work particularly but because I hadn't really studied the course, I hadn't a clue where I was going and so it seemed quite long and I had been too cautious and unwisely put myself in the slower half of my wave I must admit after my second big gulp of river water and subsequent retching fit, I started to look forward to getting out. Transition was up very wet stairs back into ExCel - very interesting underfoot.

The cycle was billed as 'past big Ben' - unfortunately for me that route was only for the morning lot and I spent my time going back and forth through the Blackwall Tunnel - although I daresay I was cycling much faster than most cars get to do it - oh and I got to see the delights of Billingsgate Market too. V picturesque. It was a very easy cycle - fairly flat with just the ups and downs of on and off ramps so it flew by. I thoroughly enjoyed whizzing past people until the age groupers in the wave behind me started to catch up and overtake me at about 40 mph - plenty of pointy helmets in that group.

Transition again was a delight in cycle shoes - I have not mastered keeping my shoes clipped to my bike so I just had to tap dance in and out on the shiny floor and hope I didn't fall - very gingerly does it.

The run was excellent. 4 laps of a highly entertaining route - almost totally flat with a giant inflatable shoe and gatorade bottle, lots of support and asics banners all along the waters edge. Before I knew it, I was on my last lap and I could sprint to the 'raised' finish line in the middle of the expo. I had told Gavin I would be between 3 and 3:30 so I was surprised and pleased with my time. I haven't done this distance before and so I was pretty nervous about how the run would feel after, what is for me, a longer cycle.

It was a very warm day and the organisers seemed intent on keeping everyone hydrated - plenty of water, gels, stuff everywhere - way more than I was expecting. There was also a ton of marshalls and helpers - people in virgin tops everywhere you looked. I cannot think what else they could have done to help the competitors or the spectators. Brilliantly organised and so very friendly - everyone seemed to be grinning. I watched the video playback of my race this afternoon and noticed that I too was grinning like a loon in most of the shots. I think I enjoyed myself.

1.5km/38.7km/9.8km : 34.22 (T1- 4.31),1:13:09,(T2- 2.20), 50:28 - 02:44:50

3 comments:

Derek B Stewart said...

Well done Lorna. Hope it's given you the appetite for more?

Derek B Stewart said...

Well done Lorna. Hope it's given you the appetite for more?

Rhona said...

Well done Lorna. Hope there were no ill effects from drinking the Thames!
Just wanted to let you know that we are running a contest on our website to win a Swimsmooth DVD (worth £39) - to enter you just have to do a race report. If you're interested have a look here: http://www.intelligent-triathlon-training.com/triathlon-events.html