Monday 20 June 2011

UK 70.3 Ironman Wimbleball Race Report


Derek Stewart took in his 'A' race at the tough UK 70.3 Ironman Wimbleball at the weekend. Here is his race report...........
According to the 2010 Ironman World Champion Macca, this is the toughest 70.3 in the world.  I had entered it because it is famous for its bike course with 5,900 ft of climb in the 54.6 miles but as I came to discover, the run course was harder!
The day started with a 4am breakfast of Muesli, yoghurt and a banana – I’d normally go with porridge but the hotel we’re going to entertain that at 4am.  I felt extremely calm as I waited for the mass exodus down to the lake – 1,200 rubber clad hopefuls.  I picked my position towards the back and off to the side as it was a deep water start it was a real punch up for the first 300m and at every buoy thereafter.  People stopped in front of you and it was like a pile up on a motorway.  I exited on 40 mins which was my target time but could have gone faster if I could have found some space.
T1 was 400 yards up hill so I took my time as I was quite dizzy and got half out of my wetsuit.  Disaster struck in that my orthotics weren’t in my bike bag.  It took a few minutes of searching before I realised they were in my run bag so I had to go and get them.  12 mins 54 sec for a transition was at least 6 mins over schedule but I couldn’t go on the bike without the orthotics.
There was a strict cut off time of 5hrs 30min for the swim and the bike and I was worried about this because of the reputation of the hilly bike course – I didn’t know how long I’d take.  So my strategy was to make sure I did a fast bike as running is my strongest discipline.  It was windy and cold and the bike course was challenging with the narrow roads, long inclines, 3 monster steep hills and 1 “falling off a cliff” decline which burns your brakes out.  Peoples’ bikes were failing within the first mile – there were at least 8 and I counted 3 bust chains.
The 3 steep hills were hell especially as you knew you would do them twice.  Lots of people walked the hills but I am pleased to say I wasn’t one of them.  My guts didn’t feel good on the bike and I stopped eating solids earlier than I would normally, reduced my isotonic intake and only managed 2 gels – I felt there was a looming explosion on the horizon and it could be either end!  I managed the bike in 3hrs 54 mins so for 56.4 miles that’s an average of 14.5 mph.  I was 40 mins inside the cut off time.
Disaster number 2 struck as I tried to dismount the bike and my left quad ceased.  The marshal shouted on the paramedics but the thought of two hairy arsed fat guys rubbing my quad made me carry on without their assistance.  But I knew my legs were in trouble.
T2 was better at 3 min 54 and I am sure this was assisted by leaving by bib shorts on (completely forgot but don’t know if my legs would have coped taking them off anyway).  The run course is a complete bast**d with 1,300 ft of climbs over 3 laps.  Within 200 yards my hams were starting to protest so I ended up nursing them round.  There was one hill I wouldn’t have like to have tackled on the bike and most people walked it.  I kept running the whole time except when I reached the top of this hill I had to stretch my hams out. 
On the third lap my mantra was “pain is only temporary, failure is permanent”.  Each step hurt and I had to be careful my hams didn’t give up.   I knew my 1hr 45 wasn’t on when I saw the course the day before and had mover the target to 2hrs.  I managed 2hrs 3 mins and my total time was 6hrs 54 mins which was under the 7 hours I’d set as a must beat time.
Crossing the line was a relief.  The queue for the massage was a mile long so I rehydrated, packed up and drove the 7 hours home stopping every couple of hours for a meal!  As always I have learned a lot and having thought I had prepared everything one simple mistake cost me a lot of time.  I need to sort out my nutrition, especially a cold breakfast that give me what I need, but in the end I am very pleased that I managed the tough bike course.  While I’m slightly disappointed in a very painful and ugly run I am immensely proud of fighting off the mental demons that visit you and tell you to walk or give up.
If you’re looking for a challenge then look no further that this event.

No comments: