Monday 18 April 2011

Ayr Duathlon 2011 Race Report

Another Ayr Duathlon (5k Run, 20+ k Bike, 5k Run) and another fantastic sunny day as Team ATHelite converged in good numbers on the Auchencruive Estate. With 9 ATHelite members plus two ATHelite wannabees competing (you know who you are!) plus the support crew, this was our best turnout for any event yet. Some of the crew were a bit edgy as it was their first multi-sport event of any type, others were a bit edgy because of the potential of Ironman training having drained any speed required for this event out of our little legs.

Following the customary & relatively care-free race briefing the horn blew & we hammered off down the hill before a sharp left onto the trails alongside the river (which I am told is very picturesque but I can't remember ever being in a position to look at it). The route stays flat temporarily before kicking back up to the left and then hitting the tarmac again for an undulating loopy run around the estate & back down to transition.
I was first in for the team & sitting in about 6th or 7th position having had a surprisingly good run (a couple of weeks of mile efforts have put a bit of zip back in the legs). 18.24 for me, a sloppy out of practive transition & off out on the bike.
Next in with an expected good 5k was David H (20.34), closely followed by Genevieve who we think managed to pull a 5k PB out of the bag in 21.02 (1.30 quicker than last year!). The rest of the bunch followed in the following order; Patrick (21.54), Derek (22.28), Ian (22.38), Gareth (24.03), Fluffy (24.25), Don (25.37). There is photographic evidence of Ian seated on the grass in transition & further multiple evidence of Don seated, then standing getting changed in transition with a coffee & a cigar.

So off we charged on the bikes over the rough pot hole & gravel strewn Ayrshire roads. I was quite looking forward to the bike as I have been feeling strong of recent and give or take a couple of places I pretty much held my position after the first lap. I was shortly after this that a bunch went past & I seemed to give away about 8 places in the space of 100 metres. For some reason I could not seem to respond & did all I could to keep the pace going & the lactic acid at bay for the rest of the lap. A disappointing 42.00 minutes for me (and almost 1 min slower than last year so something wasn't firing!). Genevieve was doing rather better on her ride & having swept past 6 of her female competitors she rode herself into 2nd position finishing in 42.57 - almost 2.5 mins quicker than last year and only 13 secs slower than the race winner Kelly Van der toorn. Next in was Gareth who had a great ride (43.15) followed by Patrick (44.27), Fluffy chicked a few of the boys (49.14), Derek (50.38), David (51.09), Don (53.29 & 4 mins quicker than last year) & last but not least Ian (54.00).

The last run is always a tough one here & today was no different. I was more than pleased to get off the bike & following a second amateurish transition I was pleased to find that I could get immediately into my stride & running comfortably. No big dramas here - I managed to pull in a couple of guys but it was too late to pass but was relatively happy with a 19.43 run. David ran another good 5k (22.13), Patrick too (22.17), Genevieve (23.55), Gareth (24.21), Derek (24.34), Fluffy (24.57), Ian (25.38) & finally Don (27.17).

The overall finish times were as follows;
Colin 1.20.07
Genevieve 1.27.23
Gareth 1.31.39
Patrick 1.33.38
David 1.33.56
Derek 1.37.40
Fluffy 1.38.36
Ian 1.42.16
Don 1.46.23

On a personal level I can't say I was overly happy with this performance. The runs were as expected but the bike just didn't work for me on the day. If I was to reflect on why, it would probably be the result of racing on the last day of a heavy 3 week training block, though this didn't seem to affect Genevieve on the bike! All I do know is that the event I am training for is bares no resemblance to this one & I am confident that on the day I will get the result that I am looking for.
Genevieve had a great first run & bike but had breathing problems on the second 5k. This is the 2nd year that this has happened in this race so we think it maybe pollen related from running in the park. The only other times this has happened is on more than one occasion in Calderglen Park & she has now had to stop running there.

It was great to see so many ATHeliteers out in force & thanks also to Gman, Shirley & Sandy for their support. For those who have only asked about the cakes I had Treacle Tart, Banana Bread, Caramel Shortcake & a Scone. All were very good.

On a final note it was a disappointment to find out that this event may not happen next year as the estate has been sold off but we hope that it will go ahead - this is a great little Duathlon & so many peoples first foray into multi-sport events. This is where we started and will always come back as long as it is in existance.

1 comment:

Derek B Stewart said...

What a fun event and as always lessons were there to be learned. Turned up without my tri belt so had to pin my number to my tri suit. Not too clever when you go for a pee as the number is over the zip! When taking gels on the bike remember and squeeze when in your mouth - I got some funny looks at the stains on my groin area but nobody took me up on having a taste - it was orange. Remember to take your gloves off when dismounting the bike as the pictures of the run look better. Check that your Garmin is giving the appropriate read out before you start as this was what was meant to be pacing me. Met target on first run and bike (except it was 2km longer than advertised) but was a bit slower on the 2nd run. I was told afterwards that duathlon is all about your legs - I can now confirm this is correct. Give me longer distance any day this short stuff is bloody hard but fun. Well done team ATHelite and supporters.