Thursday 20 May 2010

2nd Half Challenge Barcelona – Maresme ( Sunday 16th May 2010)

Graeme Allan completed the Barcelona Half Ironman last weekend. Graeme has come incredibly far in the space of a year & it just shows what a bit of focus, commitment to training & no excuses can do for you. An inspirational & hugely well deserved performance. Well Done Graeme!! Here is his Race Report...
Colin

The day started early at 5.45 making pre-race porridge, toast and banana, and coated myself in SPF 50+ sun cream, and picking up wetsuit and track pump, drinks bottles and nutrition and down to the transition area by 6.45, as it closed at 7.30. Genevieve and Colin who as you know completed the full distance event advised that as bike is in transition overnight best to reduced tyre pressure, as they had seen several tyre blowouts due to the overnight temperature. Applied more sun cream and then plenty of Bodyglide and Suitjuice (thanks Jack) and on with the wetsuit.

The event started at 8am with the male pros being the first heat off, my heat had a 45 minutes wait, which allowed for a nerve-settling warm-up swim in the sea.

Finally, my start time approached and all in the heat gathered together in the holding area before moving to the start line, the number of times I adjusted my swim caps and goggles was astonishing but when finally felt right I was ready to go. We were OFF, a short sprint into the water and start swimming and I settled down quickly into a good steady pace (with Colin’s words ringing in my ears not to go off too fast it’s a long event, 70.3 miles in total). I felt that I was moving well concentrated on gliding, sighting and breathing, my pre-race nerves now fully gone and at this early stage I knew I was going to definitely complete the full event.

The swim leg was 1.9K and had 4 turns, 200m straight out then right turn round first buoy then another 500m left turn, another 100m out and a left turn for 800m which at this stage was into the sun not the best for sighting. Not only had I moved through those starting in my own heat but at this point I started to notice swim caps from the previous heat, which started 10 minutes prior, what a confidence boost. The last left turn turned us back for the final 300m to the beach, which as I hit it after getting the upper half of my wetsuit down to my waist I glanced at my watch to see 39 minutes (what a great feeling, not swam as quick in ages) by the time hit timing mat this was 40 minutes.

In to T1 removed wetsuit and on with cycle helmet, shoes and glasses, applying even more sun cream (no chances being taken). Quickly located bike and away we go, the first 3k through the narrow streets of Calella and up onto main N11 road where drafting rules came in force and more than a few fell foul off, not me thou, why risk 2 min penalty or even a DQ.

The bike route was 2 laps between Calella and Matero. For the bike leg I knew I had suffered the week before while going around Arran for not taking on enough nutrition etc. what a lesson that was!!! Genevieve had advised of the need too continually eat and drink. I therefore religiously had a Shot Block (orange & mountain berry alternating between the two flavours) and sipped from my aero bottle, which had Nuun. Hitting each aid station I took on a new water bottle filling up the aero bottle and dropped in more noun tablets and grabbed banana from a marshal as I passed. During the whole of the bike leg I again felt that I was moving well and continually passing other competitors maintaining a good pace, completing the full 56 miles in 2 hours 30 minutes, what a great feeling, the trips to Lanzarote, Arran, Crieff along with hill effort sessions had definitely paid off.

T2 running shoes and cap on and applied more sun cream carrying another packet of Shot Blocks I started off in the 2 lap 21k run between Calella and Santa Susanna. I quickly settled down with my own race pace ignoring all others, following Colin’s advice of counting number of times my right foot struck the ground in a minute (100 for myself) doing this meant I maintain a good cadence on my run and kept concentration and held away any negative thoughts. Again at each aid station more water and banana. Half way through the second lap my left knee started to play up due to ITB becoming bit tight (had visited Grant couple of times previous about this).

Through out the run there was continuous encouragement from the spectators, including Gareths’ family who called out too me at the start of the second lap (much appreciated). Coming into the grandstand section at the finish was just something else and crossed the finish line with a time of 5 hrs 28 minutes, awarded finishers medal and received some congratulations from several of the organisers on the finish line.

I collected my T-shirt and met Gareth in the finish area, he got me a some water and food, and let me sit-down where I quietly had some time too gather my thoughts as the sense of achievement was overwhelming and very emotional for me.

I can’t thank everyone enough for their guidance and support while I was training for this event, you all know this would not have been possible for me last year, and what’s next, well first ‘A Day in the Lakes’ and then who knows!!!

2 comments:

garethe said...

great report g , congrats again
my report is taking shape

garethe said...

Alternative report for the half challenge maresme

My day began with a lovely ham roll at 6.30 . I decided to use a more professional approach to nutrition as this was a relatively long event so no red bull and mars bars . i bought a high 5 race pack in the expo and read all the instructions (though i ignored some ) . So 500ml of some form of energy drink with caffeine was my pre race fluid - had to be drunk slowly 60-90 mins pre race . Got myself into transition to check the bike was still there and put my 1500ml of energy drink on the bike . I had 4 High 5 gels with caffeine ( 2 citrus and 2 berry ) and a powerbar chocolate thing in the bag ready to go .
off to put wetsuit on . I will remember to put bodyglide on the back of my neck next time ! then to the beach - the smell of fear was in the air and the sea was baltic !
I was off in the semi old man heat - nice pink hat - and after the first 50 yards had my goggles off and eyes full of sea , this is not good when you hate getting water in your eyes at the best of times . The swell was not much but enough to make it fun . Or so i thought ! got past the first second and third turns in a reasonable time but never really got into a rythm . Then it all went pear shaped . The tide/ waves were pushing me into the beach and i mistakenly sighted on the first turn buoy for ages and only realised this when i noticed no one around me and a man shouting from a boat and blowing a whistle ! so swim course adjusted and then things got a bit better . Got to say though the only bit were i could sight properly was going into the beach . Need to get better . Got out of the sea in a small bunch and ran (only one in bunch doing so) into T1 . This went reasonably well apart from missing a few areas with the suncream . Got to the bike for the fun bit ! Lovely bike course nice tail breeze on the way out and a great view of the sea on the way back . The aim of this section was to stay at or around evens and try to deliver myself to T2 in a state of adequate fluid/calorie balance to run . So 1 bottle/ lap and 1 gel at every turn seemed to do that . I shouted encouragement to GA as i passed him(in opposite direction )but he was in the zone !The powerbar got chucked as i had a de ja vu moment - coughing and spluttering with powerbar in my lungs - And then into T2 . Got the shoes on and my essential cap -i am so glad i wore this . The start of the run was through the bike zone but i did not see GA . Off i went and i would say the first 2.5 k were never ending . Strategy here was 1 gel every 5k and a bottle of water . i now know what a hrm strap is for - it holds gels very well . It was boiling on the run but my legs felt ok so i pushed on as well as i could ,pouring water in my hat and down my back to cool me - this was brilliant and probably what got me through the run . I saw GA and high 5 ved at around 7 k but shortly after this i had to do a bit of walking - salt in eye v nippy .The run was progressing well and i foud a guy to pace me for the middle 10k which was great but he dissapeared at one of the aid stations . The crowd were brilliant and all the competitors were supporting each other - i dont know what venga means but it certainly gets you going !.I next saw GA at @14k and he was digging in and running strong .The finish was BRILLIANT loads of clapping and shouting , even managed a "sprint " finish ! Got the medal , t shirt etc ( had to have a large no XL ) and went to get fluid - coke ,water ,LA beer with lime and LA beer .A ham sandwich and all was well . Ga came over the line and had enough energy to try on his t shirt for size ! . I gave him a seat ,coke, water and a ham roll and all was well with team ATHelite .
Rehydration was with beer wine baileys and then more beer . i did sleep very well !
Would i do it again ? dont know . would i do a full challenge yes but Mrs J not keen !This is a great fast course and i would commend it to you all