Sunday 18 April 2010

Ayr Duathlon 2010 - Report, Results & Photos

A great turnout for the Duathlon today - for those of you who don't know it, it is a fabulous, friendly sprint Duathlon (5k run, 20k bike, 5k run) held in the grounds of Oswald Hall just outside Ayr. The course is far from easy with a twisty 5k run with sharp ups & downs, a (long) 20k bike with several climbs & a poor road surface followed by a repeat of the same 5k. On the plus side the weather was warm & sunny & there is a great array of cakes available at the finish, even if you do have to run past them twice before you can get stuck in.
In attendance today were Me (Colin), Genevieve, Colin B, Alan S, Graeme A, Gareth, Davy Herbertson, Big Don K.....
Colin B was hot off the blocks with a flying start in front of myself with the others close together behind. Out of stubborness more than desire I managed to sneak past Colin B but there was little between us as we arrived into transition. I was first out of T1 & straight onto the first climb with screaming thighs & lots of pothole dodging & knew Colin was hot on my heels. Down the daredevil descent past the start line & quickly onto the second lap Malcom Dippie nipped past me but I started to feel stronger but as we got caught up in a bit of traffic I was aware of someone half wheeling me & knew it was the Bainmeister. I put the hammer down a bit & opened up a small gap but again there was little in it in T2 & I had only a 200 mtr lead. Malcom was the same distance ahead of me & I thought I would catch him until I started running & felt far from comfortable. I haven't done a sprint distance for months & had forgotton that I cannot take on fluids just before the run as I get terrible stomach cramps so grabbing a glass of water coming out of T2 was a stupid mistake & it hurt. Malcom neither pulled away or got any closer & when I looked back I saw Colin B had self-combusted & just consolidated my position & got to the finish. Not a good 2nd run time for me but 12th position any way & 1.19.17 total time. As expected my runs were slower than last year but a quicker bike meant for an improved total time on 2009. Colin B lost a handful of places on the 2nd run but finished in a great time of 1.21.05  
A strong consistent performance from Alan brought him next in in 1.27.12 followed in by Graeme in 1.31.42. (On checking previous results Graeme once finished this event in 2007 in 1.55 - that's quite an improvement!)  
Genevieve came in just under a minute behind Graeme in 1.32.40 - quicker than last year & also quick enough to pick up a PODIUM POSITION  as 2nd Female OVERALL!!!
An outstanding performance from David Herbertson. 1.33.58 in his first ever Duathlon saw him turn out 2 good runs as expected but also a respectable bike aswell on a tricky course.
Gareth was in next in 1.37.42 swearing he would never be appearing in this event again but 25 minutes on the 1st & 2nd run is a good result.
Late entrant Don Kennedy was next in for the club. 1.49.37 with two consistant runs & a good steady bike time on the Hybrid.
    
                     Overall   Run1   Cycle    Run2
Colin Freeman 1:19:17 0:18:12 0:41:08 0:19:57

Colin Bain 1:21:05 0:18:17 0:41:53 0:20:55

Alan Stirling 1:27:12 0:21:31 0:43:08 0:22:33

Graeme Allan 1:31:42 0:22:27 0:43:58 0:25:17

Genevieve F 1:32:40 0:22:26 0:45:28 0:24:46

David H 1:33:58 0:20:49 0:50:55 0:22:14

Gareth 1:37:42 0:25:17 0:46:34 0:25:51

Don Kennedy 1:49:37 0:25:41 0:57:37 0:26:19

Well done everyone - it was great having a good turnout for the club - others were commenting at the end at our good representation & we also managed a sound unrelenting attack on the cake table afterwards. Imagine having 3 different flavours of swiss roll? Myself & Alan managed to tag team the lot between us I think. Final congrats to Genevieve for getting the club a Podium Position!!

Photos

Results

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Good report Colin. Having looked at the results from last year i think there was definitely a higher class field this year. My 1:21:05 would have got me into the top 10 in 2009. Its crazy, the second run...having felt that I was barely past walking pace, i was only 15 sec slower than last year. Not that i've studied the result much ;o) Its either that or watch Keeping Up with the Kardashians on Living TV. Don't ask!

frank said...

well done all of you great results and plenty pb's

garethe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
garethe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
garethe said...

never again
unless i can somehow run a sub 45 10k , the course is flat and someone will stop 20% of the field running sub 40 10k s