Friday 23 October 2009

Scottish Cyclocross Series Round 2 – Auchentoshan, Glasgow


Here is a wee report from Rnd 2 of the cyclocross races. If i've got any energy left, I'll do one on Sunday night after Rnd 3!
Scottish Cyclocross Series Round 2 – Auchentoshan, Glasgow
Round 2 of the Scottish Cyclocross series and another record field lined up to tackle Glasgow United's excellent course in the grounds and woods around Auchentoshan School. With a mixture of tarmac, grassy fields, woodland singletrack, some cheekily placed hurdles and a brutaly steep run-up, this course has a bit of everything.
Getting a good place on the grid was always going to be important again given the numbers racing an again, I managed to get myself trapped too far down the grid and had way too many people ahead of me. I figured I could be quite aggressive and make my way up through the field but in places it was a bit of a standstill and I was even feeling quite relaxed which, to be honest, you shouldn't be in a cyclocross race. It should be b*lls out from the gun. Anyway, I managed to make up some places with some barging on the opening sections of the first lap and made up loads of places on the steep run-up. Most cyclists can't run and the running I have done in the past (and a wee bit on a Thirsday night!) certainly helps.
Once round the first lap (in about 6 mins) if was time to keep the pace high and see how far that would take me, I settled into a nice battle with a few other guys that lasted until the end of the race. It was nice to feel some speed and power in my legs thanks to the St Christies time trials this summer and the turbo sessions in the garage this autumn.
This week, it took until the 2nd last lap to getting lapped by the leader and just before the end of the final lap to get caught by the rest of the top five. This is a great improvement that my 24th place doesn't particularly show. Anyway, I need to work on my grid placing from now on as a top 20 and some series points are within my grasp! Looking forward to round three this week at Mugdock Park where I hope the race organisers (my old Glasgow Mountain Bike Club buddies) will help me on the grid!
Col B
P.S. There is always a Commissaire who does a bit of commentating for all the spectators and it is always nice to hear him call out you name and club as you come by. Unfortunately, he kept calling me a member of Althletic Tri Club! Thats no good! Need to get this sorted for the next time.

1 comment:

athelite said...

well done Colin.

Great picture.