Wednesday 23 September 2009

Barcelona Countdown

You may have noticed it has all gone a bit quiet on the Blog front, this is because our training has now eased back into the final taper (not Tapir), allowing me in particular to stop worrying about training relentlessly & worrying about EVERYTHING else instead.

Our bodies seem to be handling tapering much worse than the actual training, but that is part of what the taper is about I guess. Last week I picked up tendinitis in my wrist which was agony for 3 days then it just disappeared following an acupuncture session & a swim. Then my hamstrings froze up which Grant managed to deal with last night by taking a steak hammer to my buttocks. Ouch! Genevieve seems to now have a painful bursar on her hip which makes it very sore to run. Again Grant had a good go at this last night & it should (will) improve over the next few days. Lots of stretching sessions required for both of us.

Tonight is our last proper swim, from then on every session is an easy one - keeping moving but saving ourselves for the big day. Coach Pauline says 'just relax & enjoy it from now on'. I am trying to but we still seem to have a lot of loose ends to tie up & it is not until these are taken care of that I will stop worrying. A couple more rides on the bike over the weekend to test the race wheels then we will get them packed into boxes on Monday.

On the weather front - I checked the race day forecast yesterday & it said heavy rain & 26 mph winds. Far from ideal, especially for the sea swim. Today I have checked & it says clear, a sunny 17 degrees & 4 mph so that's quite a turnaround!
11 days till Race Day!!

1 comment:

Jiminy Cricket said...

Good luck if I don't see you before!
I'm sure everything will go fine!
Salud!
James