Tuesday 25 August 2009

Peebles Duathlon 23rd August

Colin, Genevieve, Graeme, Mandy & Big Don were all in action on Sunday at the Peebles Duathlon (5k run, 20k bike, 5k run).
The weather forecast was not the best but as myself & Genevieve awoke in Peebles on Sunday morning it was better than expected - obviously grey & windy as always but no rain. Yet.
We stayed with Kenny & Kirsty on Saturday night only half a mile from the start line, so a relaxing start to the day with no travelling pressures.
We freewheeled down to the start an hour before, set up the transition & went for a warm up run taking in one loop of the flattish 5k course.
Quite a small field this year - maybe due to the rubbish weather forecast & also the hike up in the entry fee which seemed a bit steep for a small event like this.
The whistle blew & off we went. This being my first session in 10 days, the plan was to ease into it & test my strength. This plan lasted about 3 seconds as I excitably shot off on the lead group feeling fairly comfortable. Really enjoyed the 2 loop run coming into T1 in just over 18 mins in about 8th place. A quick transition then across the grass round a tight corner & very ungracefully up the slippery steep climb to the bridge & the bike mount line.
The minute I was on the bike I felt pretty rubbish & very out of practice. Ok on the flat but no power on the climbs & by the half way turning point I had been taken by 4 guys. Rubbish. The ride back in felt better but hard to stay down on the tri bars on the climbs as I usually can & I was caught by 4 more guys. I was very pleased when the Peebles sign came into view & came out of my bike shoes early knowing that there was a final climb over the bridge followed by a sharp stop then the steep descent & corner into T2.
Due to a quick transition again I started onto the run & could see all the guys who had taken me on the bike strung out in front of me. I settled into the run straight away (no problem these days - lots of brick sessions!) & bided my time. By the end of the first lap I had taken all of them & opened up a satisfactory gap. With no one else in sight ahead I just cruised it home comfortably finishing in 1.14.12 & 7th place overall.
Next home was Genevieve, also on her return from illness finishing in 1.25.55 & 3rd senior female.
The'whippet' Graeme Allan finished in 1.32.22 & continues to slice chunks off his times.
Mandy & Don completed the whole event virtually hand in hand until the final lap of the 5k when Don ran past transition complaining of extreme hunger. The support team got a gel to him & he was off! Don finished in 1.48.07 & Mandy in 1.49.59.
A nice friendly little event this one - highly recommended to newcomers to Dualthlons.
Results
Photos

We recovered quickly & Monday saw the two of us up & out early for a 5 1/2 long bike then straight into a 1 hour run which was also not too much of a problem considering. Very tired afterwards though & couldn't wait to get to bed.
A really good swim this morning - 800m w/up then a pyramid session (100, 200, 300, 400, 300, 200, 100) & 300 w/down. A tad short of 3km but I have not swum a session for ages so that is allowed! Well done to Doreen this morning - really doing well in the pool. Consistency = Improvement!!!

2 comments:

DLK said...

Thanks to Gareth for lending me a proper bike - I hardly needed to pedal up those hills...

No problems with the clipless pedals either as I had practised falling into a nettly hedge the day before.

Super day out.

garethe said...

excellent times all round , duathlon is one of the hardest tests of your legs around ( unless for some reason you want to do tri in the lake district )
By the way you can now do the fred whitton challenge any day of the year get atime and a certificate , any takers ?