Monday 22 June 2009

Ayr Open Water Sprint Triathlon 2009 - Results

The latest race for ATHelite Tri Club was Sundays Ayr Triathlon. For everyone this was their first bash at an Open Water event, getting the chance to swim from the mouth of the River Doon up current then down again in 2 laps whilst getting swim over, under & across by all the other competitors. It was clear that whilst we had all been practising our OW swimming & the all important sighting (looking up to see where you are going), many competitors had not - resulting in many people zigzagging up & down the river in a most annoying fashion & then stopping & just standing up in the water as all the swimmers behind swam up their backsides. There was also a bit of confusion as the whistle went as to whether it was a mass start of a phased start. Turns out it was a mass start but who was to know!!

___________________ Swim__Pos__Bike__Pos__Run__Pos__Final
Freeman, Colin ...........14:41...31...39:18..13....18:43...7.....01:12:42
Freeman, Genevieve .17:17...55...40:43..19....23:21...51...01:21:21
Jones, Gareth..............18:28...72...42:31...33...23:56...57...01:24:55
Carrigan, James..........16:08...40...47:00..59...23:04...47...01:26:12
Allan, Graeme.............18:06...70...45:07...48...28:33...79...01:31:46
Honings, Frank............17:53...63...48:46...65...28:26...78...01:35:05

I was first out of the water for the club & surprisingly far up the field given that it was my first go at an OW event - wetsuit came off like a dream & having almost wretched over my bike shoes managed to get straight out onto the bike feeling remarkably fine. Loved the bike & worked my way though the field into about 15th position for a quick T2 & off on the run, again feeling amazingly fine. I moved through the field again on the 5k picking off 6 people & moving into 9th position with no-one else in sight to catch.

Next in was Genevieve who seemingly had a stormer - a very comfortable swim which probably could have been a good bit quicker if not for starting quite far back after a slightly pessimistic swim time prediction. An excellent bike (2nd quickest female) & probably her best triathlon 5k to date. Genevieve finished as 2nd Female Senior & 3rd Female overall so she won CASH!!

Gareth had a good solid race too in all departments - especially good on the run & completing a sprint Tri in under 85 mins for the first time in the last couple of years.

An excellent swim from James followed by a slightly slower than expected bike but a quick run brought him home in 1:26:12.

Next in was Graeme who kept it going right to the line what with everyone shouting at him. A very good swim put him in good stead for the rest of the race & good to see him significantly under 30 mins for the run - those over 30 days have long gone!!

Frank was next in for the club in only his second ever Triathlon & much better than his go at Bishopbriggs. Quicker in the transitions & consistant throughout to come home in 1:35:05.

A great little event this one with a good range of cakes afterwards - we'll get entered nice and early next year before it fills up. Thanks to Mandy & Eleanor for the support & photos too.

Good also to see most people out running the next evening - we managed a 65 mile Bike & 5k Run off the bike on Monday with no problems so very happy with the quick recovery.
It did turn out to be a rather expensive race though as I somehow ended up buying the Scott Plasma Ltd TT bike that was sat for sale on the finish line. Not quite what I intended but I am blaming Gareth for that!
Colin

4 comments:

Jiminy Cricket said...

Yes it pays to be able to swim the first 100m with your head above the water in a race like this!
Admittedly, I did start from the back so I only have myself to blame! The new goggles were brilliant! Well done to Ben for selling me these!
My bike times are still way too slow, but I suspect the 47mins includes a hefty 5-6mins spent in transition. I had to re-pin my number before biking for example!
The run .... oh the run .... I did not want to run, the only thing that kept me going was the embarrassment of stopping! I must have run the first 3km in over 15 mins and the next 2km in less than 8m when my back eventually loosened.
Pain aside I enjoyed the event though!
I now need to focus on developing bike strength and speed!
Well done to all!
See you there next year!
XXXXXXX
PS Is Mandy now the club photographer too? :-)

athelite said...

Some good photos from Mandy - we will hopefully get the slide show on the blog shortly.

Do you not have a race number belt to save you time pinning?
Did I see you put a t-shirt over your Trisuit in transition too?
C.

Jiminy Cricket said...

Yes to both!
The pinning was supposed to be more secure than the race-belt! That didn't work!!
I think next time I'll just race in tri-suit and forget about the extra top! Unnecessary time lost!
I'm not too worried about transitions at the moment. When I'm swimming sub 15mins cycling sub 38mins and running sub 20mins maybe it will seem more important! I don't want to 'paper over the cracks'! :-)

Jiminy Cricket said...

Yes must use number belt! Pinning wasn't more secure!
And yes did put extra top on! That wasted time too!
I'm not too worried about transitions though. If I take 5 mins so be it! I want get a sub 15 mins swim, sub 38 mins bike and sub 20 mins run and then I'll focus on transitions.
For me it's a bit like 'papering over the cracks' at the moment!