Sunday 5 April 2009

Are my legs on back to front?

A tough start to the week just gone, we went for a long swim in Esporta on Monday, probably the darkest pool I've swam in - it's so dark you can't see the end of the pool till you bump into it! We need to start doing one longer distance swim per week from now on.

I needed to get the running going again so headed back to the Harriers on Monday - mile efforts in about 5.45's so not quite sticking to the 'gentle start' that I had planned. I am my own worst enemy & clearly underestimated the Mallorca effect as woke up Tuesday feeling like I had been run over by a Tram. A good swim session nonetheless then the Tri Club session after work - warm up on the bike around Strathy Park then 5 minute efforts up & down the link road, then off the bike & into the run. A good effective session but my quads were screaming during the bike & didn't feel too sprightly during the run either. Well done to Mandy who was stuck on a road bike for the first time & sent off. I don't think the brake pads knew what was going on. I've never seen anyone so releaved to get off the bike & run! Good effort though - onwards & upwards.
This session pretty much destroyed me so Wednesday was a definate rest day. Thursday was a great run with the group - cracking weather meant we could head up & around Calderglen. Loved it - so nice to get off the pavements again.
Friday was a good swim session until we started doing kick drills on our sides which is probably the hardest thing I have ever had to do. What a killer. Clearly a rubbish kicker.
I was supposed to go out with the bike group on Sat am but left my bikes in the wrong town (as you do) so went for an early run instead. Long sleeve top, split shorts, driving rain & freezing. Not a good clothing choice but felt better running than earlier in the week. Need to RUN MORE - Ayr Duathlon in a couple of weeks & don't feel ready for that.
Me, Mrs ATHelite & Graeme (who is definately the most regular Tri Club member) headed to the A77 for the St Christies 10 mile TT this morning. Looked lovely weather through the car windscreen but it was soooo cold & windy. Really hard work up hills into the wind till the turning point but absolutely flew back with the back wind. Good fun, not great times but impossible with that wind (though I did get a course best time so quite pleased anyway). We both messed around with our bike set up for the hour before the TT and both think we have improved are positions so looking forward to experimenting more with that.
Mrs A has been struggling with tight legs all week but got a good going over by Grant (Physio) on Saturday. I could hear the screams in East Kilbride. Hopefully that's her sorted now.

Summary - A tough start to the week where everything we did felt uncomfortable but feel much more human at the end of it!

No comments: